Monday, October 17, 2011

Week of October 17-21, 2011

Friday HW
1.  "Person I Admire" rough draft is due in class on Tuesday for peer editing and good copy writing.
2.  We have a patterning quiz on Monday October 24.  It covers the last three lessons of the unit.  I may have a final test after that depending on the results I see.  Yesterday I stated it would be the last one, but I've reconsidered.
3.  Scholastic orders due on Wednesday for those interested.
4.  Animal research project due on November 10.  Three parts (animal notes/pictures, friendly letter and map) wil be presented via Powerpoint and the other half will be on paper (narrative story, formal letter, classification chart). We will begin introducing Powerpoint features on Monday.
5.  Please bring some pencils for yourselves to class.  My system has worked very well, but our stocks are seriously depleted.  Based on my own experience as a student and a parent I think it is reasonable to request that students come equipped with basics such as erasers and pencils.  Please contact me if you'd like to offer feedback. 
Here is a final clip from Twelfth Night.  Tom Rooney, who gave such a fine performance as Malvolio, is in full kit with smiles and yellow cross garters as he 'woos' the Countess Olivia.  I thought the boys and girls handled Shakespeare's bawdy elements well and enjoyed them in the spirit of the play.



Thursday HW
1.  Test pack is due tomorrow with a parent signature and corrections in the whte bin.
2.  We wrote notes and/or rough drafts of the "Person I Admire" profile for about one hour in class today.  I was pleased to see so many students had taken research notes or made interviews already.  Our classroom focus was on the note-taking and the introductory paragraph writing.  The rough draft is due in class in the booklet on Tuesday October 25.
3.  Our last Patterning test is on  Monday October 24.  It covers the last three lessons of the unit: divisibility rules, solving equations and integers.  It also has some treatment of pattern rules from the first two lessons.
Here is another video from the Stratford Shakespeare Festival production of Twelfth Night.



Wednesday HW
Our trip yesterday to Stratford was very successful.  The feedback I received today and yesterday from the students was similarly enthusiastic.  I was very appreciative of the kids' exemplary conduct as well.  They got on well with each other and were open to the experience.
1.  Math HW Book pages 8-9 and 10-11.  We have a quiz tomorrow on lessons 1 and 2 of the Patterning unit.
2.  We have our last "Person I admire" note-taking/rough draft writing period tomorrow.  Come prepared.
3.  Theatre Critique started today.  We will work on it again tomorrow in class.  Come prepared with your program and the rubric.
Here is a small reminder of one of the lively songs we enjoyed yesterday.



Monday HW
1.  Tomorrow is our Stratford trip.  Students should arrive in class at 8:15 AM with a packed litterless lunch and a warm jacket or other clothing suitable for the weather that day.  We will likely be back at about 7 PM depending on traffic.  NO BACKPACKS NEEDED.
2.  Have some research or interview notes in class on Wednesday for "A Person I Admire" note-taking and draft writing.  Students should have chosen a person they already know a little bit about (given that they admire the person) but should not rely only on their prior knowledge.  The rough draft is due in class on Tuesday, October 25 in the booklet that I handed out today.  We will have at least two more in class writing and note-taking periods before then.
3.  Patterning Quiz on Lessons 1 and 2 of unit one on Thursday, October 20.
4.  Sign and correct test pack.  Return it to class on Friday, October 21.
5.  Animal research project is due in class on November 10.
6.  News Journal Summary and reflection.
Today only one student wanted to come to my Homework Club time which was posted in my October calendar.  I will only host it if there are a minimum of two students.  I encourage all students to come to Homework Club times to correct tests, get extra help for a question or use computer resources.