Monday, September 1, 2014

Welcome to the 2014-2015 School Year!

Week of September 2-5, 2014

Greetings to the new students in my class for 2014-15.  I'm looking forward to meeting and getting to know all of you during this first week.  We will jump right in to the school year with some ice breaker activities and some Math and Language reviews.  As the first week goes by we will be preparing for the first Math unit in Number Sense and the first Language activities with News Journals and a novel study.  Also upcoming are our preparations for field trips to the Ontario Legislature and Warren Park in December.  

As well I will see you soon during Curriculum Night on Thursday September 11.  The exact time is TBA, but usually in the 6:300 to 7:00 PM range.  Watch this space for more news as it shared with staff.

This blog will function as a weekly homework listing and be archived as the week ends.  Be sure to check out my class web page at http://areynolds.org/ all year long.  Plenty of useful stuff is posted, including downloads of class handouts which you should use to replace lost work.  As part of my Eco-Schools effort I am reducing the number of extra photocopies I am producing.  Usually the document can be downloaded and printed by students, using my web page as needed, by students.

At the bottom of this blog page is a calendar for the year.  I have updated it for September and am working on finishing the rest of the year.  I also use the calendar to make note of tests, field trips and other school events.  I urge you to subscribe to the blog posts to receive daily updates of your child's activity.  I do make time each day for agenda writing by the students and you should ask to see that book on a daily basis, but this page is a useful complement to that routine.  I will not be signing agendas each day, but you are welcome to do so and include any notes in it that you would like to have me look over.  Please have your child alert me to the note in the morning.

Friday HW
It is not my practice generally to give homework on Fridays or before holidays.  There may be a few exceptions to this over the course of the year.
1.  I have moved the Math Quiz to Tuesday, September 9.  We had five students absent today and I did not feel we could proceed with a quiz on Monday.  We corrected pages 3.0 and 4.0 in class today.  Students who were absent for corrections can stay in on Monday at recess to correct.  Please hand in the bundle of four practice pages on quiz day.
2.  Paper towel roll and box of Kleenex for classroom shared use.  Thank you!
3.  Bring a photo of yourself that you can cut up for the Future booklet.

Thursday HW
1.  Math Number Sense 3.0 was assigned in class today and should be finished as homework tonight.  Most students will be writing a quiz on Monday based on the four math practice activities I assign this week.
2.  Paper towel roll and Kleenex tissue box for class use.
3.  Forms and agenda fee.
4.  Bring a photo of yourself that you can cut up for the Future booklet.

Khan Academy Video on Multiplication



Wednesday HW
1.  Math Number Sense 2.0.  We corrected the first one in class and spent extra time reviewing long division technique, including the "Dracula Must Suck Blood" mnemonic (divide/multiply/subtract/bring down).  We will continue to practice this method for the rest of the week.  All students are receiving review and reteaching as needed with this operation.  As was the case yesterday, students with an IEP, or who see Ms. Angus on a regular basis should do the EVEN-numbered questions.  If an additional challenge is required, do the remainder of the questions as needed.  Please see the video embedded below for some extra review and support for the long division algorithm.
2.  Correction for the Math Number Sense 1.0 page.  We are having a quiz on Monday based on the four reviews with which we are starting the year.  Students should bring these home on Friday for study.  I am not collecting them until I give the quiz on Monday, when I will collect all four. 
3.  Parent Consent forms and Medical forms should be filled out and returned.  This includes the first two pages of the stapled package ("Acknowledgement Form") and pages 8,9 and 10 (the Walking Excursion Form, the Media Release form and the Medical Form). Collecting these forms is a huge job and eats into instructional time considerably.  I would really appreciate the prompt return of the forms so I can move on after a day or two of collection. So far I have collected 18 of 30 form sets.  Thank you!
4.  $6.50 for the agenda.  There is a sticker inside the agenda with the student's number and web addresses for this blog and my web page.  So far I have collected 21 of 30 agenda payments. 
5.  Bring a photo of yourself that you can cut up. (photocopy, scan, original -- all are OK).
6.  One box of Kleenex tissues and a roll of paper towel are request for class use from each student.  Thank you for your support. 

Khan Academy video on Long Division.  I liked his remarks about learning times tables as a springboard to long division proficiency.
Introduction to long division: Dividing into larger numbers. Introduction to long division without remainders



Tuesday HW
1.  Math Number Sense 1.0.  These are based on exit outcomes from Grade 4.  If your child has an IEP or is in the HSP program I have attempted to reduce the workload in class today, usually by circling questions to be done.  If I have missed your child in some way please use your judgement as a parent to reduce the amount assigned to a manageable level.
2.  Parent Consent forms and Medical forms should be filled out and returned.  This includes the first two pages of the stapled package ("Acknowledgement Form") and pages 8,9 and 10 (the Walking Excursion Form, the Media Release form and the Medical Form). Collecting these forms is a huge job and eats into instructional time considerably.  I would really appreciate the prompt return of the forms so I can move on after a day or two of collection.
3.  $6.50 for the agenda.  There is a sticker inside the agenda with the student's number and web addresses for this blog and my web page.
4.  Bring a photo of yourself that you can cut up. (photocopy, scan, original -- all are OK).
5.  One box of Kleenex tissues and a roll of paper towel are request for class use from each student.  Thank you for your support.