Thursday, April 18, 2013

Week of April 15-19, 2013

This has been a very tough week for the students in room 365.  With the help of parents and staff at school we've taken some important steps in coming to terms with the loss of Alex.  Your sons and daughters have done incredible things this week amidst tragic circumstances.  Our grief was hard to manage.  The greatest help came from those experiencing the most pain of all -- Alex's family.  I want to thank Alex's Mom and Dad and Brother for their incredible generosity of spirit and concern for our students.  I'm awed by their dignity and strength.

This week we've read a number of books, had two visits from professional staff, welcomed two parents to class to speak with the students and conducted some structured talks about the grieving process.  We had a moving visit to Alex's home on Thursday that was very special.  I tried to stress that there was no timetable for mourning, there was no right way to do it, and that it would take time beyond this week to be fully felt.  I also wanted to acknowledge that the students have to still be kids and be allowed to be happy and have fun.  This is a difficult balance to achieve but I'm working at it.  I am very grateful for the supportive feedback I've received so far.  Please let me know if you feel I'm overlooking important things.

Next week we'll attempt to return to a more familiar school day after some baby steps today and tomorrow.  We'll have a Math Unit test on Monday and some journal work due the same day.  I've submitted the deposit to Camp Wahanowin and I will inform you of the amount of the remaining balance.  Soccer tryouts for the girls team I'm coaching will start the week after that.

But we'll still remember and talk about our dear friend.

Here are a few of the movies we made before and after April 12.  The students were inspired to work hard and with a genuine determination.  I was very proud of their efforts.

For Alex From Runnymede


 A Day in the Life of Room 365

 

365 Jokers

 

 To Alex From 365